Monday 26 March 2012

Street assets

By going with the 4 lane road it needed a crossing in the centre. This would not only be true to real life but also add interest to what would otherwise be a vast plane of tarmac. After looking around Leicester i found a road that was identical and had a look at how the lights were set up.



With the crossing in place I started to see symmetry within the layout of the level that I hoped would be broken up by the crossing. This wasn't the case as the assets are mainly tall or very thin. So I decided to move the street opposite the bank from directly across, and move it of centre to the side.



 This also gave me the idea to have the glass building I have planned to include in the level to be directly opposite he bank. the idea behind adding the glass building was to have it reflect in real time the surrounding level again add more interest instead of just having row upon row of plain buildings. The question was were would I place it? I wanted to have in it a place that would provide the most interesting reflection. So having it reflect the bank is the best bet as this is the focal point of the scene. Even if the player isn't looking at it, they will still be able to see it in the reflection of the building.



I also completed the bus stop and aptly called the street "bank street". All the bus stops I've seen have these advertisement objects at the ends. most of the time they are static, but to add a dynamic element to my level I decided to take on he task of having it pan a number of ad's in a looping sequence.



I created a long texture that had been equally separated in to 3 segments. As the texture has to be of the power of 2 to achieve the best shape for the poster I had to use a total of 3.


The material has a simple network set up. The panner is the element that moves the texture on the specified axis. Then a parameter is used with and appropriate name. This name is important to remember as it will be referenced in kismet and matinee.


Then it was a case of setting up an animation that specified the time it takes for each add to transition to the next and the time each ad stays before moving on to the next.



I also set up a the glass for the bus stop. From looking at real life reference, the glass is very subtle and clear its only when the specular is caught by the light can the streak marks and majority of the dirt become viable. So I decided to recreate this with the shader i created.

after moving the placement of the sun when i was experimenting with its placement the reflecition arnt very visible. If I decide to leave the sun in relatively the same place at the end I will tweak the material to show this effect more.


No comments:

Post a Comment