Thursday 29 March 2012

First building - the Pub

So as I said in another post, I wanted some specific building in the vicinity of the bank. Interesting an detailed. Then the level of detail would be simplified on building that will be further away from the playable area (LOD).

So I decide to start with what will be the more complex of the bunch. Or should I say the most assets of the bunch.

A pub/ bistro was an element I wanted to add. As the area is of a financial setting I decided to name the pub "The Vault". Pubs in specific area of a town or city generally have names based on things close by. For example there is a club named the vault in Leicester that is near a bank. So the first thing I did was create the logo I wanted to have this for the sign and on those little partition walls you see outside pubs and bistros.

As this is my first building I wanted to talk about my workflow. All my  buildings start of with the texture. I've gathered allot of reference from around Leicester and London to create a set of buildings for the scene.

First step is to correct the perspective of the building from the picture. The best way to do this is use the lens correction filter in Photoshop.



 Its also impoertand to use lines and grids to make sure everything is perfectly square.


To finish of I use the stamp to remove artefacts that will make the section of the build look repeatable. Especially the windows. These need to look neutral.


This can be seen the most in this picture. The reflection  is very strong so I will need to remove them as I will be having allot of these windows lined up next to each other.


Here is another example of another piece I will use for the building. I like to use trim pieces at the bottom of the building as these tend to have dirt and help the building blend in with the pavement.


Just a case of correction again and removing the two black grates. 


This piece is then copied into its own document so I can use the offset filter and make it seamless.


Here are some of the assets I have so far. Still need to do a couple more such as the sign and doors.


The last two shots show what I have so far for the building. I'm happy with this so far but I still need to add elememts such as a trim at the top and create some "A" boards to go on the street.



No comments:

Post a Comment