Saturday, 28 April 2012


I found it really hard to find reference for the fountain. I knew i didn't want a modern style fountain so I knew at least I could narrow my search down. I managed to dig up some images of the style I wanted and this gave me a good starting point of inspiration

From my finding I picked the elements that i found the most interesting and allow me to include the particle effects I had in mind for the end result.

I then planned out the final shape and silhouette. This helped me get a solid idea of the final result. I decided on the last iteration as this included all the elements I wanted.

To keep the poly count down for this asset, I knew i needed to create a high poly model to capture all the details I wanted to include. This was a trial and error process to make sure the low poly model captured all the details from the high poly model whilst still keeping the poly count to a minimum. I ended up remodelling and re uving this model around 3 time before I was happy with the final normal map  I baked out.

The particle effects were a real challenge. My first attempt used only meshes with a modified version of my water texture that made it slow down the model into the water below. This looked to lifeless and clean.

The next attempt used particles. After many attempts and creating many textures, I felt I was getting to a realistic and believably result but there was something still missing.

I then tried using both meshed and particles. This gave the perfect balance of a strong flute pouring out, with the mess of foam that escaped the flow of the full force of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment